Ed-a-Mamma, Great Companies SME Business of the Year Award Winner 2022
Business Name: Ed-a-Mamma
Founder’s Name: Alia Bhat
Business Head: Iffat Jivan
Location: Mumbai, India
Establishment (Year): 2019
Category and Sub-Category: Kid’s wear Apparel Retail
Ed-a-Mamma is a completely home-grown brand which has captured a segment of first offering range of thoughtfully designed playwear for children, and continues to dominate, in the short 18 months since the launch.
The brand ethos of Children of Mother Earth reflects the vision of its founder and uses storytelling to catch children young and teach them the importance of conservation. The belief is that if children are taught to love mother earth right from the start, they will always look after something that they love. Ed-a-mamma thus strives to raise a generation of mini planeteers. Ed-a-mamma is on a mission to change the world, one product at a time!
"There has been a gap in the market for a children’s clothing brand that is made in India, is conscious yet comfortable, great quality and yet affordable at the same time.”
Alia Bhatt, the founder of Ed-a-mamma, who’s a celebrated actor, philanthropist, investor and now, entrepreneur for this clothing brand.
A few years ago, she started Coexist, an online platform that highlights ecological and animal welfare issues, to learn about what impacts the environment and share her learning’s with others.
She also started ‘Mi Wardrobe is Su Wardrobe’ a closet sharing initiative for charity, roping in friends and colleagues, to expand the scope of conversation around conservation.
When it comes to conservation, Alia believes it’s best to start young and create a generation of mini-planeteers and Ed-a-Mamma is her way of nurturing in children a love of nature.
Being a storyteller, Alia has been working on a series of stories about a little girl and her dog having different adventures, saving the planet from ecological harm. And the apparel line is an extension of this storytelling universe.
The shopping has a wide range by age group of the following:
Unique Selling Proposition / Competitive Advantage:
"This is a brand that walks the talk, as its philosophy is clearly evident in every aspect of the product.
• The fabric used is a natural fiber-based and biodegradable.
• The dyes and prints used are safe and AZO-free.
• The buttons and trims are plastic-free and nickel-free.
• The left-over fabric scraps are repurposed to make hair bands and potli bags.
• With each purchase, the customers get a little potli filled with a seed ball to sow and water. This inculcates the idea of conservation in children’s minds in a practical and fun way.
• The tag on each garment is made of FSC-certified paper, which makes it completely sustainable. The tag also doubles over as a bookmark.
• Our 100% cotton denims are recognized as ‘green denims’ and are manufactured using recycled water.
• Ed-a-Mamma merchandise is delivered in packaging made of corn starch which is eco-friendly, biodegradable, compostable and can be recycled.
Ed-a-Mamma clothes are not a niche product for a select few but are in fact a mass premium product starting at Rs. 249/-. So, it’s not only light on the skin, but light on the pocket, since the pricing is accessible enough, for the brand and its founder to create a significant impact on creating sustainable behavior.
The business has grown 10Xcrore in terms of scale in the first year of its operation.
Ed-a-mamma is amongst the top performing kids brand in several marketplaces.